Saturday, May 7, 2011

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."~Walt Disney

I got a job last week, and I'm not exactly sure how that happened. I went to the interview thinking that they would ask me general questions pertaining to classroom management, discipline, lesson planning, and relating with students. Some of the question did have to do with these, but then they began asking more specific questions about my subject (English). And I thought I was screwed!

When they started asking questions pertaining to how I would help students to improve reading, what books I would recommend for different grade levels, and my strategies for working with English Learners, I answered the questions but they weren't as polished as I would have liked. In fact they were very raw. As soon as I was asked the question about English Learners, I thought that I would be disqualified there. To answer the question I said: "Honestly, my experience with working in ESL only classrooms has been limited. So I can't answer that question adequately. However, I would speak with more experienced teachers to learn about their best practices." Not a great answer by any stretch of the imagination. After the interview they told me that I could expect to hear from them by Friday, but if I didn't to give them a call.

As I drove home from Mendocino County, where I had my interview, I thought about some of their questions and felt that I hadn't given them sufficient answers. I also felt like I could have improved upon some of the answers that I did give. But mainly I felt like I should send a thank-you note to the principal for taking the time to interview me with their hiring committee. I sent an email that same night.

The next day I wasn't sure about how I should feel about my interview. I had answered the questions as genuinely and thoroughly as I could, but my answers to me seemed half-baked and raw. That was until one of my cooperating teachers emailed me and told me that the hiring committee had contacted her and had told me how much they had liked me. So they had taken the time to call one of my references, and had mentioned how pleased they were by me. That boosted my confidence and I remained cautiously optomistic.

I recieved a job offer two days after the initial interview, and accepted it that same day. So now I'm looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my life. In a few short years I have gone from student, to student teacher, to substitute teacher, and now as a professional teacher.

I look forward to moving from Chico to Anderson Valley, and I am excited to begin the next chapter of my life. I know that I will always look back fondly at my time in Chico, but I am curious and excited to see where life leads me.

No comments:

Post a Comment