"Pirate Radio" AKA "The Boat that Rocked" is a 2009 movie starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Bill Nighy, and Rhys Ifans; the story is about pirate radio during the 1960s when rock'n'roll was outlawed and so the rock stations were broadcast from open sea. The heart of the story centers around Young Carl (Tom Sturridge) who comes to live with his godfather on the boat that rocked. While there he meets many radio DJs and witnesses many things. It is a coming of age story.
But at it's heart, I believe that it is a story about freedom. Throughout the movie Parliament is trying to stop the Radio Rocks and other pirate radio stations from broadcasting. At the time the British government saw rock'n'roll as being "rebellious," and a lot of subjects that rock centered around were considered "taboo." Thousands of people would listen to this music. The movie is one to watch. It is both informative and interesting, and it is inspired by true events.
Freedom is essential to living. It is as essential as food and water is to life. And don't confused "living" with "life." As Charles Darwin said, "A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life." Living goes beyond simply existing. We must have the freedom to act and to living our life in the way that we choose. We must use our time to experience and discover what we are passionate about, it is not enough to drift through life without connecting to anything or anyone.
One of the things that I like the most about "Pirate Radio" is that these radio DJs connected with each other, though the good and the bad (some of which I believe that if the characters weren't on a boat, friendships would have ended then and there); and they are connected to the music that they are broadcasting.
Next year, I want to explore more interests, renew the passions that I already have, and live life passionately. I want to teach more, write and read more, see more movies. I want to take more pictures, explore new places, laugh more, and cry more. I want to learn new things as well, I'd love to learn how to cook and bake... I guess all in all, I want to experience more.
I'd like to live life like this poem:
Each Day A Life
I count each day a little life,
With birth and death complete;
I cloister it from care and strife
And keep it sane and sweet.
With eager eyes I greet the morn,
Exultant as a boy,
Knowing that I am newly born
To wonder and to joy.
And when the sunset splendours wane
And ripe for rest am I,
Knowing that I will live again,
Exultantly I die.
O that all Life were but a Day
Sunny and sweet and sane!
And that at Even I might say:
"I sleep to wake again."~Robert William Service

No comments:
Post a Comment