Sunday, May 23, 2010

Family: “Treat your family like friends and your friends like family.” (Part 1)

Family is one of the most important things a person can have-- families can either make or break us. We find our identities in the families that we have and we learn to live through watching our parents. As children, I feel that we try to live up to our parents expectations. I'm not a father, so I can't begin to explain how parents think or feel. But I think that to a point our parents hope that we live a life better than their own, and have the primal urge to protect their children. At least, the good ones do.

I believe that God blessed me with amazing parents. My dad has provided me with great wisdom throughout the year and I think that my drive and determination to continue with college--no matter how long it's taken me to get through-- originated within him. He has provided great books for me to read over the years and has guided me towards making the right decisions (whether I've always wanted to or not). My mom has always provided me with the support that I've needed through the years and has helped me to succeed in everything that I've wanted to-- my mom is perhaps the strongest person that I know. She has taught me how to survive and come out on top in spite of whatever obstacles come up in my life. I have been blessed with amazing parents that love me and that are there for me every step of the way... whether I've been aware of it or not.

I have two amazing brothers. Matt, who in spite of whatever problems he is facing-- manages to still enjoy the life that he has... no matter what cards have been dealt to him over the years. I don't know how he does it, just that he does. He is resilient in living life. Chris, who is becoming a man and is learning as he goes. He is pushing forward trying to figure out exactly what his life holds for him.

I have an amazing sister, Claire, who is just growing into a fantastic young lady. She perhaps has more potential than any of us. She is both intelligent and athletic. She has overcome a lot in her young life-- learning just as much from her losses as from her wins. She will do well in anything that she chooses.

I have an amazing step-family and an amazing extended family. I have been blessed with adults in my life who believe that I have the capability to succeed and have spurred me on even when I thought it impossible.

And I have awesome friends. Friends that have been there for me my entire life. Friends that have helped me to learn, grow, persevere, and overcome elements that have been external and internal. Friends that I have just grown to love through the time that I have been able to spend with them. I haven't always had a ton of friends, but those that I've been great friends with-- I haven't doubted and if I did, it was only for our friendship to strengthen and deepen.

Considering my life, I know that my family have become my friends. And my friends have become family.

~To Be Continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment