Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Blog: "The closing years of life are like a masquerade party, when all masks are dropped."


Who's read the graphic novel "Watchmen" by Alan Moore? Or watched the 2009 Warner Bros. movie directed by Zack Snyder?
Personally, I feel the graphic novel is better... it's just a better medium for this story to be portrayed. No matter, I don't really want to spend this first entry reviewing a graphic novel or a movie. I don't want to go into detail on why one is better than the other... and I'm not going to. But I bring "Watchmen" up because in it, there is a masked character by the name of Rorschach.
He's an interesting character... though he's also a frightening character. Like the mask that he wears Rorschach is only capable of seeing black and white. He doesn't see the gray and when his mask is taken away from him he demands it back-- identifying it as his "face"; it is how he appears to the world and it is how he identifies himself.
Like Rorschach, we all wear masks-- whether we're aware of them or not. We take on different roles in our lives. Mine? Son, brother, friend, student, teacher, mentor... and still there are more. As a student-teacher, I identify myself as Mr. S; to my friends and family, I'm known as Andrew-- and to those that I don't know and don't know me, I remain a nameless entity.
So what's my point? And why begin this first post by talking about masks?
Simple: I want this to be a place where you can come to get behind my mask... and get to know me better.
Cesare Pavese, the Italian poet, once wrote: "The closing years of life are like a masquerade party, when all masks are dropped."
Let me try to drop mine early and begin with: "Hi, I'm Andrew... and welcome to my blog."

No comments:

Post a Comment